Friday, May 23, 2008

Structuring the Dexter Spec

After much deliberation, I've decided how I'll structure my Dexter spec.

I'm going to have 3 main stories and two runners. The A and B stories will have around 12 beats each, the C story will have 8 beats and the runners will each have three beats. That gives me 38 beats in the story, which isn't far off from most Dexter episodes.

As for acts, I'm going to see where the story naturally takes me, but I am going to try and make some kind of act break or major turn happen every 10 pages or so (though in the script there will be no act breaks). So that's 5 invisible acts, which most Dexter episodes I've deconstructed appear to have.

So far I have my A, B and C stories picked and am mapping them out. I'm trying to put the story in the world of the 2nd season without too closely tying it to the arcs. I still use some aspects of the season, like the BHB investigation and Lila, but I've tried to keep them out of the timeline. My Heroes spec was done as an episode fitting between two real episodes (4 and 5 of season 2), so I kept the timeline and some story arcs in mind with that script. For Dexter I'd like to write my spec as more of a stand-alone episode: the A story features Dexter with a murderer of the week; The B story deals with Dexter's relationship with Lila and Rita; The C story surrounds the investigation into the BHB, and has Deb and Lundy getting closer to Dexter.

One thing I haven't figured out yet are the runners. I feel like I need Doakes to be following Dexter, as that is a big part of the 2nd season, but I'm having trouble thinking of a fresh premise for that scenario. Same goes for the relationship between Deb and Lundy.

No comments: