Thursday, August 21, 2008

Will Spell-Check for Change

I am sorry, blog.

I have been neglectful of my blog these past few weeks, because things in my life have become increasingly, maddeningly busy. My new writing gig has begun part-time on top of my full-time non-industry day job (which I just gave my 2 weeks for! woo! that felt good). I'll start with the prodco full-time in mid-Sept, as I'm going on vacation to Italy for the first 2 weeks of the month. So I'd better get blogging before I go. For that matter, I'd better get writing in general - I'm not bringing my laptop so that will be 2 weeks without writing a single courier font character. This will be painful. I played with the idea of heading to an internet cafe each day but taking a holiday means taking a holiday. As a writer, all writing is work, and if you work on vacation then I think you're not really taking a vacation. Ideas and brains can get old, stale and cobwebby and I think a periodic cleanse can bring clarity.

On top of this, I'm launching a guerrilla marketing company with a friend. Because I think to make money in Canada as a screenwriter, you always need to have your hands in different picnic baskets. Especially when you're starting out. I did acquire a full-time writing/producing gig with the prodco, but it's only a 3-month contract and therefore expires in mid December. It took me 8 months to get that job since my last industry job, so while I know each credit makes it easier to get the next I'm not fooling myself. I know I could end up scrambling in December, so I'm taking some precautions: 1) starting to search for my next job now and 2) taking any other opportunities to earn money, as long as they don't conflict with writing. Maybe I should start a paper route?

No comments: