Sunday, February 28, 2010

Script Coordinator

I have a job! And it's actually related to TV writing!

Tomorrow is my first day as the Script Coordinator for a new CBS drama pilot, Blue Bloods. It's only a short-term gig (likely one month), as it's just a pilot and not a series, but it's exciting nonetheless; It'll be great experience and should result in a few good contacts. I'm quite excited because the pilot was written by two writers that were previously writers on The Sopranos and the Director did most of the first season of Dexter. I'm going to have to try very hard to restrain my inner fanboy.

From what I understand, the Script Coordinator is the person who liaises between the writers and the production office. They're in charge of the script, making sure it's spell-checked and entering the revisions into the script, and making sure everyone has the most up-to-date copy. They also deal with clearances, essentially making sure that any names or products named in the script are legally cleared for use. They can also write the show bible, but I'm not sure I'd do that for a pilot. I think that's something that's done when a show is picked up. Aside from that, I'm not entirely sure what my day-to-day will be, but I'm excited to be working in such close proximity to the writers, and to be doing something that almost resembles TV writing.

I got this job through cold-calling production offices and asking to speak with Production Coordinators, and just telling them I was looking for more PA work. If I was lucky, they'd ask me to send a resume. Most of the time I never heard from them again... in this case I sent a resume months ago and they recently contacted me as a PA gig came up. I went in for the interview and they saw that I have a lot of experience with Final Draft (which is, by the way, a reason to learn to use Final Draft, as all major productions I've seen so far use it exclusively), and they thought I'd be better suited as the Script Coordinator. Which of course I thought was a great idea, of course.

I'd better get some sleep so I can get a good start tomorrow - I'll update to let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

Taylor Neal Grayson said...

Congratulations! That's awesome, and I hope to read about some cool stuff you learn on the job. Your blog is very encouraging. Thank you for detailing your exploits for the rest of us out there.