Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Writer Represented

I have acquired a literary agent!

I'm now repped by Perry Zimel at Oscars Abrams Zimel. I'm excited to be working with Perry (and Karen, his Literary Associate) for many reasons, one of which is because he works as an agent and a manager simultaneously. This means he'll help me both direct my career and act in my interest with producers, as opposed to just negotiate for me. He represents writers, directors and actors (and more, I believe), and I've heard great things about him by asking around the industry. Plus I met with him and Karen and we all got along great. I think it's kinda awesome that my agent also reps Christopher Plummer. Just saying.

As a point of interest, I was connected to my agent through a referral. Two years ago I was spending my time and money submitting my scripts to competitions, and I read a post by Alex Epstein, which explained "there's only one real kind of screenplay competition, and that's the one every agent and producer runs. The prize is a produced picture. The application fee is nothing." I took his advice and altogether stopped caring about competitions (although fellowships are still good from what I hear). Instead I figured the best way I can get an agent or a job is by becoming as good a writer as I could, and really all that meant was writing lots of spec scripts. So I did. And then I re-wrote and re-wrote and re-wrote and eventually some of those scripts were half decent. One of my friends read them (who also happens to be a screenwriter - this is why networking is key), and told Perry about me, and I was told to drop my scripts off at OAZ. And that's it. I didn't even send a query.

So now I'm represented and it's nice to think that maybe, just maybe I'm not crazy after all. I mean, how do you really know you're any good at anything until there's someone that is willing to professionally bank on it? I might not be entirely convinced until I actually sell something or get hired on a TV show. Even then, I'm not sure I'll ever believe it; I think one of the defining factors of a writer (or any artist, really) is self-doubt. Makes us all introspectey and stuff.

So I'll pretty much continue as I've been doing for the past couple years - writing. I'm finishing up a Fringe spec, and then I'll immediately start writing something else (what that is, I have no idea yet, but I'll discuss that with my agent). And hopefully I'll have some real, actual paid writing work to talk about soon!

I wonder if I'll have to change the title of my blog?

4 comments:

Patrick O'Riley said...

Congratulations! I'm still fightin' the good fight.

Lisa said...

Congrats!

Brandon Laraby said...

Hey! Congrats Trevor! :D

Very, very cool!

Dan said...

Hey Trevor, haven't checked in since 'The Sketchers' days; good to see you're still at it.

Congratulations.