Monday, April 18, 2011

Job done! New job!

Well, I'm now finished on Awakening. We wrapped just over two weeks ago, and now they're going into post production. Hopefully they'll get picked up, it's a great show and the cast is awesome (one of which was Titus Welliver from Lost, Deadwood, Sons of Anarchy). It was a great experience working with Bill Laurin and Glenn Davis, who are two great writers/EPs, and nice people to boot!

I've now somehow lucked into another fantastic job, in record time from ending my last contract. In the past two weeks I interviewed for, got, and started the job as Script Coordinator/Writers' Assistant on another show, The Transporter, for HBO/Cinemax. Yes, it's based on the movies that starred Jason Statham, and no he won't be the star. First of all, I'm really excited because it's a series! I've worked briefly on other series, but never for the entirety, and I've never been able to sit in on the writing room while they're breaking story, which I'm really excited about. Also, most other shows I've worked on are American, and with US shows the problem with being a Script Coordinator or assistant is that you will never be in the writing room, because it's in LA, so normally your education is limited to what is outside that room. For aspiring writers, such as myself, that's the downside to working on US shows. But since Transporter is a Canadian/French/German co-production, is being partially shot here and is an English show, the writing room is in Canada, and I get to sit in on meetings and watch how it's done. Very exciting! I will try and share what I learn about the story room process.

I'm working with three writers, Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, and Alexander Ruemelin. Joseph and Paul are from the Stargate franchise (another movie that was turned into a series), and Alexander is a German screenwriter. They are all hilarious, really nice and are all dorks just like me. I can tell this is going to be fun. I don't actually know how long this contract is going, which is also nice - so far I've been working on short term contracts because they've been mostly pilots, TV movies, ect. Actually being there for the writing, prepping and shooting of 12 episodes of a series will be a nice long run, where I can learn a lot and also not have my wife nag me about getting a more regular job. Also, I've read the first few scripts and the outlines for the first 8 episodes, and this show is going to be awesome. I'm excited to work on it, which I think is important.

Last week was my first week, and as the office hasn't officially opened yet, it was pretty relaxed, as everyone is still in the process of adjusting to the office and developing a rhythm. I find that every production office has it's own, and it takes a bit to find it, but once it happens the office really kicks into high-efficiency gear as everyone knows what and how to do their piece of the puzzle. I really like that aspect of it, the only downside that I've experienced is when you're working on a pilot and create a really great rhythm, then it's all over after 1-2 months. I'm interested to see what happens when you take that and transfer it to a longer period of time.

One of the writers, Joe, also has his own blog, which is updated much more than mine. I will try and take a page from his book and attempt to update more frequently. It should be an eventful experience, so I'm sure I'll have quite a bit to write about!

1 comment:

Prasanna said...

I just discovered your blog man, keep up the good work. I'm a former TV news producer interested in writing, so this blog is a great for someone like me to see the scripted side of things.

Congrats on the new gig!

--Prasanna